[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 28 01:38:03 EST 2010

> "...usage of any resources maintained in the..."
>
> By definition, abandoned IP resources aren't being "maintained" thus
> they do not fall under this section of the NRPM.  This section only
> applies to resources that are being actively defended.

That line states "...maintained in the [ARIN database]..." and was intended
to represent ANY resources under ARIN administrative jurisdiction whether
or not abandoned.  It is not intended, nor do I believe staff has interpreted
it to mean abandoned resources cannot be audited or reclaimed under
section 12.

> Clauses like this are very common in business contracts (decent
> ones, anyway)
>

> The section 3.6.1, implementation of which is in-process, is the
> operative section that deals with the issue that George mentioned.
>
> Technically, ARIN is within compliance of the NRPM at this time, since
> Section 12 is optional, and Section 3.6.1 is pending implementation in
> the NRPM.

Both are tools. Section 3.6.1 provides for detection and identification
of abandoned resources. Section 12 provides for the reclamation of
underutilized resources regardless of the method used to identify or
detect them.

Owen
(This is just my own opinion, not an official statement from ARIN or
the AC).