[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Jan 27 17:32:19 EST 2010

> What if the request is for a /14, and the biggest free blocks are all
> /24s?  Do you want to give out 1024 non-aggregatable /24s to meet
their
> need for a /14?  Or should they be offered a single /24 from the free
> pool, and given the option to get their /14 via transfer?  The latter
> is
> the outcome this policy would prefer, as it reduces fragmentation of
> the
> IPv4 address space, and allows available blocks to be matched with a
> larger number of equivalent-sized requests, rather than having them
all
> vacuumed up by a small number of large requests.

Which brought to mind something that is related.  I have not been on
this list very long. Has there been discussion of some mechanism for
recovery of issued but unused resources?  By this I mean address blocks
that are no longer in use because the company involved no longer exists
or blocks that have never been put into service.  A check of ipv4 PI
blocks that have been issued but not advertized on the Internet for more
than a year might be a place to start.

I say this because I recently realized that a company I once worked for
which had gone out of business still had a block of addresses and an ASN
assigned to them so I contacted ARIN in order that the resources could
be recovered for reuse.  But I can't help but wonder how large a pool
exists of allocated but unused resources.

George