[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:08:35 EST 2010

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>> You always have great input... how do you think that 2.A. should be
>> addressed?
>
> The whole policy proposal is nuts.
>
> If ARIN can't give out a /14 because there is no single free block
> big enough, they should just send an email saying:
>
> ------
> Here's some good news and some bad news. We just approved your
> allocation, however, we don't have any /14 or bigger sized
> blocks left. The biggest free block available is a /16.
> We could either give you that and consider the request to be
> completed, or we could give you 3 /16s and 2 /17s to make
> up the equivalent number of IP addresses out of several
> NON-AGGREGATABLE blocks.
>
> How do you want to proceed?
> --------
>
> That doesn't need any new policy just common sense. It also doesn't
> need to waste everybody's time on PPML arguing over the last table
> scraps.

Unfortunately arguing over table scraps is human nature, sometimes we do
worse than argue.  I just saw an extreme case of it on the news this
morning, a group of people in Haiti were pepper sprayed to keep them
from mobbing a food distribution.  I apologize if that example offends
anyone, but I am not certain we will not end up in an equally ugly
situation at the end of IPv4, I hope not.

In the heat of the situation common sense will go out the window, it
always does.  This and some other proposals are simply motivated by
wanting to deal with this while people still have common sense about
this issue.  We need to give ARIN staff the tools they need to deal with
things if they get ugly, or when they get ugly, if you are a pessimist.

I believed the way to deal with this was to set a maximum allocation
based on the amount of space ARIN had, the community didn't like that
idea.  This is another way to deal with the situation.

I'm not completely sure about this text just yet, but I completely
support the concept and intent of this proposal.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952