[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-2: /24 End User Minimum Assignment Unit - Correct Title

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 26 00:03:01 EST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Jim McBurnett wrote:

>> From Ted:

> Please forgive the intrusion... I post rarely---
>
> As a consultant, I have several customers that are multi-homed. Many have the issue of getting
> IP Space from an ISP.  Some ISP's have to be read ARIN policy on the multi-home requirement
> To allow for a /24.. Granted some of these customers cannot truly justify a /24 for that site.
> HOWEVER-- there are concerns for them to do some other redundancy options..
>
> Correct me if I am wrong-- But over on Cisco-NSP on Jared Mauch's site, I remember a conversation
> A few months ago covering the /24 filtering.. many thought it was only being done on old routers..
> And someone went so far to say that it was only done when it was a lower tier edge from a small ISP.
> I think there was a branch on that thread that mentioned a default injection too.. But lots of water has
> Flowed under the bridge since then....
>
> As it is written today, I believe it sounds reasonable... and actually have a few end users that would benefit.
> I am specifically addressing the small user, not the IBM as mentioned in the thread by Bill Herrin.
> He has a very valid point, IMHO...
>

> I know there are lots of folks here that members of the other RIR's lists.. so:
> My parting shots are this:
> What are the other RIR's doing?
RIPE and APNIC will issue /24 and in some cases even smaller.
I do not know for sure about AfriNIC (I think they go down to /24) or LACNIC.
> IF they are already doing this, why is ARIN not?
I think that's an excellent question.

> IF they are not, what makes ARIN different?
> This is not to say, ARIN should emulate the other RIR's but their logic may discount or account for issue or non-issues we may see here...

Thanks for your comments.

I hope you will post more often and make your voice known at the public
policy meeting, either in person, or, through remote participation.

Owen