[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 08:50:26 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:28 AM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
> I don't believe in redefining the English language. A site, is what the
> dictionary says, regardless of how it is connected to the Internet. ---

The word "end site"  in no way implies a single physical location  any
more than the term "web site"  implied a single physical location,  or
that the term  "web farm"  suggests  an actual farm  with  webservers
installed in the barn, to keep the animals company;   the dictionary
is for providing  common-use definitions  only.     The dictionary
does  not answer for technical or subject-matter-specific definitions
like the IPv6-specific word  "end-site"

It's the intent of the design,  and  good technical practice that matter.
The usage of "End site"  in  IPv6  documents  has a very similar
meaning to the word  "autonomous system"  or what ARIN NRPM calls an
"end user network".

"End site"  doesn't mean  "physical place"...   it  means
"IP-specific site",   as in the logical presence  in  the  IPv6
address  space  created  by that end-user's  network.

NRPM  has already done that:
"2.10. End site
An end site is defined as an end user (subscriber) who has a business
relationship with a service provider that involves:
   1. that service provider assigning address space to the end user
   2. that service provider providing transit service for the end user
to other sites
   3. that service provider carrying the end user's traffic.
   4. that service provider advertising an aggregate prefix route that
contains the end user's assignment
"
> It is common for companies with several sites to have them all connected
> to the Internet via a gateway at a central site. Nevertheless, it would
> be ridiculous for ARIN to treat this a single site.

It's not that ridiculous.
It is probably more ridiculous to suggest that each of   one  end user
network's  physical locations  really needs an  additional   /48

I  believe  /48  is  selected  on the assumption that  all the  end
user's  subnets  would be taken from their  one /48.

If  each physical location receives its own allocation, then there's
really  no reason to  pick /48  over /56.      A large number of
subnets at a single physical location is quite rare.

Whereas,  there are very good reasons to assign an  end-site  a  /48
if that end-site  comprises many  geographic locations,  then  a large
number of subnets is  likely

--
-J