[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jan 19 20:33:21 EST 2010

Tim Durack wrote:

> I like the simplified approach that has been outlined by others:
>
> /48 no questions asked.

I don't believe in no questions asked, but I'll go for only a few
questions asked.

Like are you multi-homed, or why a ISP or LIR assignment will not
satisfy your need, and a subnet plan

> /40 for multi-homed organizations.

Why a /40 if you are multihomed, what does that have to do with how many
addresses you need?  Did you mean have multiple site?  Then OK, sure.

> /32 once you push the limits of your /40.

So then do you support something like PP#106?

Any change you think should be made to PP#106 as it currently is written?

If people support or oppose the direction of PP#106 the AC needs to here
you say that one way or the other and the more clearly you say it one
way or the other the better.

FYI, the AC needs to settle on text for Draft Policies and get it to
Staff by Feb 1 or so.  This is in order to have legal and staff reviews
back in time to take action at our February AC meeting.  Which without a
special AC meeting, is our last opportunity to move a proposal forward
to Draft Policy and get it on the agenda for Toronto.  We can still make
changes to text up to 30 days before the Toronto meeting, but it would
be best if those were not major rewrites, only minor changes.

So that gives a little more than a week for major changes, so any feed
back you can give us in the next week or so will be most useful.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952