[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jan 19 18:31:54 EST 2010

George Bonser wrote:
>> However, I think some kind of qualification of multiple sites is
>> necessary. I think two offices across town from each other with 10
> host
>> each and that share a common connection to the Internet probably
>> shouldn't qualify for two /48s.  I'm thinking of language something
>> like
>> this;
>>
>> "To qualify as a separate sites, locations must either be in separate
>> cities and/or metropolitan areas, or if within the same city or
>> metropolitan area to be considered separate sites each site must have
>> independent connection to the Internet."
>>
>> So if you had two sites in different metro areas or two sites in the
>> same metro area but each has a separate connection to the Internet
> then
>> two /48s are justified.
>>
>> Is that reasonable?
>>

> Provided that you mean the separate connections are also to separate
> providers, yes.

Yea probably that too, good catch.  So how about;

"To qualify as separate sites, locations must either be in separate
cities and/or metropolitan areas, or if within the same city or
metropolitan area, each location must have an independent connection to
the Internet, each from a different provider."

Or is that to restrictive?

So that would be a /48 per city with an additional /48 per site within a
city that has a different internet provider.

So if you have a network connecting locations in each of Denver,
Houston, and Atlanta, 2 locations in LA with different Internet
providers for each, 2 locations in Chicago with the same Internet
provider, and 3 sites in NYC, 2 with the same Internet provider and 1
with a different Internet provider, would count as a total of 8 - /48
sties or a /45 assignment instead of the 10 locations with a /44 assignment.

Reasonable?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952