[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Jan 16 20:27:36 EST 2010

    Terry> But yet even with the globe rushing headlong toward the end
    Terry> of IPv4 space, probably within 24 months, v6 is still barely
    Terry> crawling forward in deployments. It's not going into
    Terry> greenfields, startups, etc.

    >> If techies need to get their managers to approve a checque to ARIN,
    >> the manager tells them to use IPv4 + NAT.  If the techies do not have to
    >> ask, then they will deploy IPv6 for internal use.
    >> (ULA buys you nothing compared to net-10)

    Owen> 1.	ULA buys you a great deal more than RFC-1918.  ULA is
    Owen> statistically,
    Owen> if not globally unique.

  Tell me what it gets me.
  Tell me how, when two organizations merge, ULA saves them anything?

    Owen> 2.	You can get IPv6 space from many sources other than
    Owen> writing a check to ARIN.  For example, you can get a /48 with
    Owen> tunneled service from several tunnel brokers.

  Yes, that's what I currently advise people who need some address
space.  The tunnel brockers also give me reverse DNS and sometimes whois.
  Is that really what ARIN wants?

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.