[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 107: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Jan 16 00:26:32 EST 2010

Michael Richardson wrote:
>     Member> 6.5.8.4 Criteria for initial assignment to Community
>     Member> Networks
>
>     Member> Organizations may justify an initial assignment for
>     Member> operating a Community Network only for the purpose of
>     Member> providing free or low-cost internet connectivity to the
>     Member> residents of their local service area.
>
>     Member> By documenting the service area they intend to serve,
>     Member> certifying that the community network staff is 100%
>     Member> volunteers, and otherwise meeting the definition of a
>     Member> Community Network.
>
> Why does it matter how the staff is paid?
> We argued a lot about this before.  Did we wind up with a definition?

2008-3 Community Networks was just added to the NRPM, two days ago, and
that requirement is in the definition.

2.11. Community Network

A community network is any network organized and operated by a volunteer
group operating as or under the fiscal support of a nonprofit
organization or university for the purpose of providing free or low-cost
connectivity to the residents of their local service area. To be treated
as a community network under ARIN policy, the applicant must certify to
ARIN that the community network staff is 100% volunteers.

I don't necessarily disagree with your comment, but that was the
consensus we came up with and I really really don't want to revisit that
for a policy that just got put into the NRPM two days ago.

I was only trying to remove some of the duplication of text in how it
was implemented, but making it another type of initial assignment criteria.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952