[arin-ppml] Global policy development process [was: Re: NRPM 2010.1 ­ New Policies Implemented]

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 15 12:06:42 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Lee Howard <spiffnolee at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know if the process is wrong, but since people are debating about
> what it actually IS, I think it's unclear.
>
> What do you think the process for global policy development SHOULD be?

Lee,

My knee-jerk reaction is:

First draft in one region. Second draft in all regions (either
cross-posted or some sort of joint global policy list). Formal request
for adoption from one region. All regions accept or reject it as
written. The proposal is not adopted in any region until it accepted
in all.

Each binding global policy is written in only one language, regardless
of region. Translations for convenience are non-binding.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004