[arin-ppml] Official Spin-Off of GQBC and GQNET from the Gymnasium Querfurt High School to enhance education

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:17:37 EST 2010

Christopher,

I wish you well in your efforts.  However, from what I saw on your
website your claims of educational purposes seem to stretch
creditability.  This is simply my opinion and you are free to ignore it
as you see fit.  Furthermore you, like anyone else, are welcome to use
the Internet for what ever you see fit, educational or otherwise, within
the applicable laws of course.  But, when you claim an exception from
policies and fees to further education purposes you should be able to
clearly and reasonably demonstrate the educational value you are
providing to society.  And, I just don't see that in this case, again
this is simply my opinion.

Christopher Mettin wrote:

> GQNET.Connect is hereby officially introduced as the first educational
> Internet Service Provider with multi-homed deployment which will soon go
> on with the work I began, making IP addresses available for educational
> purposes free of charge. And of course, GQNET.Connect is primarily based
> in Michigan), therefore subject to be served by ARIN with IP addresses.

Beyond that, I must additionally take issue with your claim, "as the
first educational Internet Service Provider".  Your effort is by no
means the first education Internet Service Provider.  I will point you
to Merit as a easy counter point example.  I'm not sure who the first
education ISP really is, but as Merit has been around since 1966 and has
a far better claim to that title.

See:
http://www.merit.edu/about/

You might want to learn more about Internet history.  At one point in
time, Merit was the operator of the NSFNet, which was the Internet for
all intensive purposes in the early 1990s.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation_Network
http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ii_nsfnet.htm

> For those of you who want to benefit from a more inclusive name space
> the Public-Root, root of the Internet2 and our Top Level Domain sponsor,
> provides, go on http://inaic.com to receive further information on how
> to upgrade your desktop configurations and server hint files. Users of
> the Public-Root have instant access to most GQNET resources. Further,
> the Public-Root has master servers on all over the world and is
> therefore more reliable than the commercial legacy root, which is mainly
> deployed on the East and West coast of the US.

Additionally, your project is not the root of Internet2, I personally
have participated a great deal in the work of the Internet2 project for
over 10 years.

See:
http://www.internet2.edu/about/

And by the way Internet2 is a trademark.

See:
http://www.internet2.edu/termsofuse.html

In conclusion, while I wish you well in your efforts, I and many others
would like to be able to focus on the policy business of ARIN. Therefore
I would like to request you at least try to keep your postings relevant
to that subject.  If you can do this, your continued participation is
welcome.

Thank you.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952