[arin-ppml] RIPE/ITU

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Feb 26 12:09:31 EST 2010

> Although I am indeed thankful to the ITU for keeping us poor
> and under privileged developing countries well stocked in
> IPv6 numbers, I would much prefer that ARIN consider
> structural modifications to allow for sub regional registries
> under present structure

You might want to look into APNIC's NIR model which is exactly
that, and then make a formal proposal. I wouldn't expect you
to simply copy APNIC, but in making a proposal, I think you
should understand the alternatives. Also, I believe RIPE has
done something similar for the Russia and the ex-USSR countries,
partly because of the economic gap and partly because of legal
restrictions on signing contracts with foreign organizations.

This is a good idea, and as a side effect, if you get all
the Caribbean networking people talking around the same
table on a regular basis, you will be able to react faster
and in a more coordinated fashion when disaster strikes.
Like the next hurricane, and the one after that...

I don't see any connection between what you are suggesting
and the ITU's activities, and it is probably best if ARIN
considers your sub-registry proposal on its own merits.

--Michael Dillon