[arin-ppml] IPv6 Multihomed networks

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Feb 22 19:38:27 EST 2010

    Kevin> For my own edification, why are we treating IPv6 like it is a
    Kevin> rare and precious commodity?

ARIN AC distinctly gives me the impression that they think IPv6 is
a rare and precious thing.

When pushed, someone says that there are concerns about routing slots, and
how someone might use unconnected network policy to go around ARIN
"routing policy" to get routable networks.

When cross-examined about this, the community says that ARIN does not
concern itself with a policy about what gets routed --- contradicting the
concern over routing slots, and ignoring why we are asking for clearly
identifable bits of address space for non-connected networks so that it
won't be a concern.

What's clear to me is that ARIN as a community isn't interested in
solving this problem.  The IETF had considered this to be a RIR policy
issue for many years, but apparently it falls into a crack.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.