[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 108: Eliminate the term license in the NRPM

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Feb 12 13:10:06 EST 2010

David Farmer wrote:
> Joe Maimon wrote:
>> While my viewpoint would favor stronger language on the subject than
>> is contained in the proposal, it is a significant step in the right
>> direction.
>
> How would you suggest we make the language stronger?  I believe the
> language is fairly strong already, but I'm willing to consider
> suggestions you might have.

Thats a generous offer. So here goes.

>>> Delete section 6.4.1 and replace with a new section;
>>>
>>> 1.1 Number resources are not property
>>>
>>> To serve the interests of the Internet community as a whole, number
>>> resources are not property (real, personal, or intellectual). The
>>> allocation and assignment of IP addresses, ASNs, and other number
>>> resources are subject to the terms of the ARIN Registration Services
>>> Agreement, the policies in this document, and any amendments as may be
>>> made to either one.

To serve the interests of the Internet community as a whole, while
number resources are not to be considered property (real, personal, or
intellectual) of any sort, ARIN provides number resources in the form of
recording allocations and assignments in its function as a Regional
Internet Registry. The allocations and assignments are a service subject
solely to the terms of the ARIN Registration Services Agreement, the
policies in this document, and any amendments as may be made to either one.

>>> Modify section 11.4 by removing “on a lease/license basis”, leaving the
>>> following;
>>>
>>> 11.4 Resource Allocation Term and Renewal
>>>
>>> The Numbering Resources are allocated for a period of one year. The
>>> allocation can be renewed on application to ARIN providing information
>>> as per Detail One. The identity and details of the applicant and the
>>> allocated Numbering Resources will be published under the conditions of
>>> ARIN's normal publication policy. At the end of the experiment,
>>> resources allocated under this policy will be returned to the available
>>> pool.

The Numbering Resources, consisting of an ARIN recorded allocation, are
for a period of one year. The resources can be renewed on application to
ARIN providing information as per Detail One. The identity and details
of the applicant and the allocated Numbering Resources will be published
under the conditions of ARIN's normal publication policy. At the end of
the experiment, resources allocated under this policy will be returned
to the available pool.

>>> Rationale:

Recasting allocations and assignments clearly as a service without any
property rights, real or implied, governed solely by the PDP and RSA and
not subject to any property or intellectual property or similar
jurisdictions is actually a net benefit to ARIN and its community as well.