[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Feb 5 10:27:54 EST 2010

This thread has mostly wondered off of my original question, but it
still has been an interesting discussion, none the less.

The intent of my question is how do we want to deal with networks that
are not connected to the Internet.  In other words networks that have no
intention of achieving global reachability but still many need or want
globally unique addresses.  ARIN Policy specifically addresses a special
case of what I am asking about for IPv6 in 6.10.2 Micro Allocation for
Internal Infrastructure, and it creates a special pool for this use.
Also, by the fact that current end-user assignments are based on IPv4
Policy, then section 4.3.5. Non-connected Networks allows such networks
to get an IPv6 assignment, currently out of a common pool for end-user
assignments.

Since I've been working on rewriting ARIN's IPv6 policy I want to know
how the community want this to actually work, my goal is a more direct
and clear path for these network to get addresses.  However, I see a
faction of the ARIN community that want these assignments made from a
filterable block.  Then, there is another faction that says, wait a
minute, that means ARIN is defining Routing Policy.

I believe that these network have a right to globally unique IPv6
addressing just as much as anyone else.  But, personally I'm mostly
agnostic to the question if the these assignments should be made from a
block designated for non-connected networks or just assigned from a
common pool with all other assignments.  I can see valid arguments on
both sides.

Basically it boils down to, if we assign from a common pool then there
is no distinction and you can only have the address space you can
justify connected or non-connected.  If we make a distinction then,
anyone must to be able to get such a non-connected assignment without
regard to if they have an assignment intended intended for global
connectivity.

The current text I have in PP#107 calls for a common pool because that
seemed most consistent with the current policies as I understand them.
  But as I said, I'm mostly agnostic on this issue.  So I started this
thread to try develop a consensus one way or the other.  Because, we
can't do both at the same time.

So I would like to see continued discussion on the specific issue of a
common pool for all assignments VS. a specific pool for non-connected
networks.  Additionally, I intend to raise this issue on the floor in
Toronto.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952