[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 5 00:22:50 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
>> Now, the other tier-1's don't like that one bit. Not one bit at all.
>> Dude's stealing their bread! So, they start a joint venture to do the
>> same thing, camp it at the major peering points (like MAE-East) and
>> refuse to honor the /8 route if its announced from anybody else. Sorry
>> dude! You want service in the small assignments, you pay the joint
>> venture too.
>
> Or, someone starts accepting the more specific routes without using the
> tunnels and their customers don't need to pay no steeenking tunnel
> broker which disrupts the entire scheme, another network does it, too,
> in order to compete with them and that entire tunnel jv blows up and
> everyone ends up accepting the more specifics.

Hi George,

Likely couldn't travel that path; each new provider that accepts the
more specifics into his routing table only increases the percentage
penetration. Catch ditch the tunnel JV until you have nearly 100%
penetration and the cost of carrying all the routes in every router
versus a fraction of just the small routes in each of the JV's routers
is high enough to cost more than the small users are willing to pay.

You could, however, implement a dynamic tunnel map-encap protocol like
they've been discussing over in the RRG for the last couple of years
and let the ASes start to deploy ingress tunnel routers to catch
otherwise-unrouted packets for the /8 near their source and send them
encapsulated to their current destinations. Many outcomes are
possible; I'm not really looking to explore the whole field.

My point was that I'd really like to see us stop suffering failures of
imagination in the name of careful reason. ARIN has to be the
moderating force on the routing table only because we've failed to
imagine a individually driven process that renders the role
unnecessary.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004