[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Feb 4 15:43:04 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM, cja at daydream.com <packetgrrl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Per ARIN's Number Resource Policy Manual it says this:
> "4.1.1. Routability
> Address allocations and assignments from ARIN are not guaranteed to be
> routable.

Hi Cathy,

I think what's starting to happen is that as a community we're
recognizing that statement as a major and expensive cop-out. Sure,
sure, ARIN's not legally liable if my addresses aren't routeable. But
we all know, wink and nod, that we get addresses from ARIN *because*
we can use them on the public Internet.

So, why not fess up to the reality and either:

1. Make ARIN officially the routing policy arbiter for North America
with appropriate care given to checks and balances, or
2. Adjust ARIN's process so that ISPs actually do control their own
routing policies.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> There is a nuance in here that most people seem to ignore when
> making their point.
>
> ARIN does not control routing at any ISP.
>
> ARIN has an extremely large influence on ISP's routing policies.

Hi Leo,

The dozen major airlines exert somewhat more than an "extremely large
influence" over the route I take from DC to Hawaii, and they don't
have ARIN's geographic monopoly.

He who controls the IP addresses controls the scope and shape of the
choices that others can make with the IP addresses. That control can
be used to create a rich wealth of reasonable choices or it can be
used to narrow them to just a few.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004