[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:21:27 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Joe Morgan <joe at joesdatacenter.com> wrote:
> The colo industry or dedicated server industry almost always gives at
> least a /29. Most customers will need multiple ips for things like

I'm under the impression the colo industry usually  re-assigns a /29
to itself, and sub-delegates  several IP addresses from that /29  to
the customer. Unless there is a customer router involved,  the entire
block has not been subdelegated.

> almost a industry standard.  I can tell you from my experience the
> customer is not going to be nearly as responsive as I am to security
> or abuse complaints. I would much rather be able to put my contact

Most abuse complaints will get addressed to the upstream too.  I've
seen e-mail abuse complaints before,  and senders are usually very
liberal in whom they CC.

The upstream providers, and sometimes even ARIN itself are almost always Cc'd.

> information for abuse than the customers for multiple reasons. My
> company watches the abuse system 24/7 365 and needs to know about all
> security or abuse complaints. If the customer is directly contacted
> then how am I going to know that there is somebody on my network

By listing yourself as  the official abuse contact when SWIP'ing.
Or on your  RWHOIS server,  where you have more direct control of what
gets listed.

Include the item as one of the terms of the collocation agreement,
that you will provide the 24x7  abuse contact for the IP space,   and
that the customer must provide you as one as well.

If an ISP wishes to do this,  the current text of the NRPM  does not
stop or prevent the ISP from including themselves as an additional
contact  on the SWIP record.

--
-Mysid