[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Feb 2 21:46:19 EST 2010

In a message written on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:30:43PM -0600, James Hess wrote:
> _A server colocated with their local ISP_   stop. One server does not
> justify a /29,  it doesn't have to be SWIP'ed or listed in WHOIS.

Actually....

I have seen some colo ISP's that put every customer in a separate
VLAN.  Typically they feed these two two routers, running VRRP or
HSRP.  So a single server needs a subnet with space for 4 devices,
router1, router2, virtual gateway, and server IP address.  The
smallest subnet that can do that is a /29.

So, it is possible for a single colocated server to consume a /29.
Not everyone does it that way, of course.