[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Feb 2 11:17:35 EST 2010

> For most companies, it actualy makes alot more sense to be listing thier
> service providers contact info then thier own (if the service provider
> allows it).

I completely agree with this, allowing the proviso that it is the customers decision, not the ISP's decision.  I as an ISP will certainly advise my customers on the best way to go, and that advise will be different for the barber shop than it is for the manufacturing plant with a tech staff.

In the end though, when I SWIP IP's to a customer they are now the proprietor of those IP's and I need to follow their instructions on how those IP's are registered.  If my customer requests that I be the tech or abuse contact and they are paying me money then I will happily do so.  If they want to be the contact then that is how it will be.

We can certainly steer our customers toward a path, but it is not ethical to assume we are smarter than they are and know what they want.  The matter of PoC contacts is a simple fill-in-the-blank question (with an option to insert ISP?) on whatever form or conversation you use when you arrange a >/29 assignment to your customer.  This does not have to be an onerous task.