[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Feb 1 20:29:59 EST 2010

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>> So you run their antivirus software and clean their machines
>> if they get infected? If it's that level of managed service,
>> then, arguably their machines are part of your infrastructure
>> from an administrative perspective. If you are the end-user,
>> you don't need to swip the space as a customer assignment.
>> If someone else administers the machines, then, that someone
>> else should be on the SWIP.
>
> And what happens when that "someone else"'s 10th grade English
> class is interrupted by your phone call about a possible botnet
> infection on his uncle's server?

...then the IP was SWIP'ed to a school, and the uncle shouldn't have a
server within the school network IP allocation.

If he does, then the school PoC is responsible, unless the school
assigned a /29 to the uncle.

> Let's be realistic here. This is not the Internet of 1990 where
> everything was in a big building owned by a big organization that
> was paying big bucks for the underlying IT infrastructure that
> was connected to the Internet.

...I want to know how to get a hold of the person/people who are
managing the machines that are addressed.

If you house machines within someone else's ARIN space that requires a
/29 or larger, your info should be on it. If 'uncle's' information is on
the SWIP, then he should be responsible, disruption to his English class
is irrelevant.

Steve