[arin-ppml] *Spam?* Re: Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Dec 29 19:30:45 EST 2010

On 12/29/2010 2:10 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> [...]
>> connectivity to both protocols (IPv4 and IPv6) prior to organizations
>> being forced to deploy IPv6-only hosts and networks in order to minimize
>> the transition pain.  This means all Internet facing  content needs to
>> be reachable over both protocols, and any product or service for which the
>> need for IP addresses continues to grow needs to go IPv6.  Furthermore
>> future content may be deployed as IPv6-only, and as such all pre-existing
>> IPv4 networks need to plan to support IPv6 as that content emerges.
>>
> I agree with you that such a move is good for the community.
>
>> Ensureing that all growth going forward supports both protocols sends a
>> clear signal that the Internet is ready to embrace IPv6 and is prepaired
>> to transition future growth to IPv6-only when necessary.  This is exactly
>> the demand the content providers and application developers need to
>> justify their investments in IPv6. It also gives people the time to work
>> out any issues they have with IPv6, and removes the penelty of being among
>> the first providers to be forced into IPv6-only world.
>>
> While this is a true statement, I don't think this will be any clearer a signal
> than the letters that were already sent to resource holders, the public outreach
> that has been done, the front-page article on CNN.COM, and various
> other signals that have been sent.
>
> I'm not seeing how this requirement accomplishes any of the other things
> you say beyond sending a signal.
>
>> Some have suggested that the pricing of the IPv4 market will solve this
>> problem.  The problem with that approach is those that have calculated
>> that they plan to purchase IPv4 addresses will still have a long lag time
>> to implement IPv6 once they realize that IPv4 addresses are priced above
>> the cost of IPv6 deployment, or entirely out of thier reach.  The end
>> result is still a long and painful transition / translation period for
>> all, and the possibility of slowing or stalling IPv6 adoption.
>>
> A somewhat long and very painful transition is, at this point, inevitable.
> As I have said, we're too far up the canyon. There is no room to turn
> the plane. Our remaining choices are to make the best landing we can
> relatively straight ahead, or, attempt a radical maneuver which will
> end in one of the following ways:
> 	1.	Plane strikes cliff with a direction of travel perpendicular to
> 		the cliff wall. (small impact site, wreckage relatively contained)
> 	2.	Plane stalls and hits bottom of canyon in near vertical attitude
> 		(small impact site at bottom of canyon, wreckage relatively
> 		contained)
> 	3.	Plane strikes canyon in a wing-low attitude closer to
> 		parallel to the canyon wall, likely cartwheeling and
> 		breaking up on impact. (wreckage widely scattered,
> 		large impact zone)
>
> While none of these are good options and the desire to make a
> radical maneuver becomes nearly unavoidable reflex as the canyon
> wall approaches, landing straight ahead offers the highest

And you didn't like the ketchup analogy?!?!  ;-)

> We are about a year past the point for making any such radical
> turn with any hope of success.

If your going to hold to the airplane analogy then I'm going to
clarify it.  IPv4 started diving to that canyon when people started
talking about forming RIR's to manage the spiral notebook that
was being used to assign IPv4.  It went solidly into the canyon
when ARIN and the other RIR's came into existence, and the plane
crashed and blew up in the canyon when people stopped viewing the
RIR's as nothing more than a stopgap to a newer, better IP assignment
solution about 9 years ago.

The entire concept that a shortage should exist in network numbers
in the first place is utter bullocks.  That artificial shortage,
caused by the creation of NAT and classless routing that extended the
life of IPv4 by a decade, when it should have been dead and buried
years ago, has gotten so ingrained into people's consciousness that
they cannot think any other way now.

If we got rid of the RIR's entirely and simply released a computer
program that RANDOMLY assigned organizations IPv6 prefixes, and
people used that and just started advertising prefixes that they
pulled out of their hypothetical asses using that program, I would
wager that collisions would occur less than 1/100th of the time.
Probably much, much, less.  Probably less than they occur now due
to miskeys of entering router configurations and typographical errors.

Ted