[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 28 22:39:39 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2010, at 11:10 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> That's really a fundamental question here, isn't it? Do we want ARIN
>> to lead or follow?
>>
> I think ARIN has done a pretty good job of leading so far. However,
> perhaps it is important to consider the difference between leadership
> and management. ARIN is leading. ARIN should not be attempting
> to manage. Leadership is bringing the horse to water, which ARIN
> has most certainly done. Management is forcing him to drink, which
> generally tends not to end well. Proposal 125 sought to manage.

Owen,

Leadership is not giving a motivational speech and then following the
crowd to a pub, it's giving the speech and then drawing the crowd to
one of the better pubs. Despite the name, a cheerleader is at best a
cross between a dancer and a gymnast. Rah rah IPv6.

At the core, ARIN is a resource manager. I have no problem with it
taking a following role, moving where the market leads. Frankly, that
strikes me as wise. But don't mistake it for leadership.

If you want ARIN to show leadership with respect to IPv6 then however
much they may have missed on the particulars, the prop 125 guys are on
the right track. They just need to come back at it with an approach
that's less poorly-conceived bullying and more firmly nudging people
to take that next baby step in a healthy direction.

> Good leadership operates at the consent of the people lead. I see
> nothing to indicate consent or consensus for ARIN to start trying
> to strong-arm IPv6.

Building a consensus is leadership. Following the consensus is something else.

Personally, it still doesn't make sense to me why we don't want the
IPv4 form to have a checkbox which says, "give me my first minimum
sized IPv6 block at no extra cost."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004