[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Dec 28 22:38:20 EST 2010

> From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <ppml at rs.seastrom.com>
> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:32:15 -0500
> Sender: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net
>

> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:
>
> > That's really a fundamental question here, isn't it? Do we want ARIN
> > to lead or follow?
>
> ARIN has been leading on IPv6 promotion for years, through outreach,
> fee abatement, and policies that make getting a v6 allocation only
> slightly more difficult than filling one's gas tank.
>
> Motion (of which there is an abundance in PP-125) should not be
> confused with progress.
>
> I expect to see plenty more proposals coming from various quarters
> regarding how to divvy up the last crumbs of IPv4 address space.  I
> don't want to dissuade anyone from working on them, since this is an
> important exercise and a good proposal might come out of it, but I'm
> not sanguine about the prospects.
>
> Owen mentioned the deck chairs on the Titanic, an expression which is
> going to get used to the point of being a stock cliche in our
> community if it hasn't already.  Let me offer another: the Dopeler
> Effect - bad ideas sound better when they come at you quickly.  :-)
>
> I continue to be opposed to PP-125.

Like several people on this list who have been long-time proponents of
IPv6, I am opposed to PP-125, but I think this discussion is valuable.

I have been working with IPv6 for well over a decade starting with the
first IPv6 code from Sun and Digital and am really annoyed that so many
have ignored it for too long, but PP-125 and similar proposals are
really not likely to do any real good.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)