[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Dec 28 20:34:59 EST 2010

On 12/28/2010 3:11 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Good leadership operates at the consent of the people lead. I see
> nothing to indicate consent or consensus for ARIN to start trying
> to strong-arm IPv6.

Hold on folks, this is getting out of hand.

If ARIN wants to hand-out IPv6 along with an IPv4 request, who the
hell cares?  Requiring an org to spend a few moments estimating their
future use of IPv6 when they request IPv4 is not going to take the
skin off anyone's nose.  It is by no means the same as requiring the
org to actually USE the IPv6

We have enough IPv6 to hand out IPv6 to people who we are 95% sure
will NEVER use it for the next century so this argument that we
shouldn't just go ahead and assign the IPv6 even when an org doesn't
want it is rubbish.  Assign it!  Sometime in the next 30 years they
will need it and then hey, the assignment work will be done and they
won't have to bug the RIR a second time and go through the whole
justification process again.

This is like when you go through the drive-through at McDonalds and
they throw 4 ketchup packets in every bag that they hand out.  Your
like the guy who wants to make a federal case about the fact that
you don't like ketchup so the 4 ketchup packets are going to go to
waste because the drive through girl didn't take the time to ask you
if you wanted ketchup or not.  So your going to make the girl spend
an extra 30 seconds ascertaining this to save a few ketchup packets
for everyone who goes through the drive through, but there are 10
cars in line so the guy at the end is going to get his food 5 minutes
late, and cold - just so you can pat yourself on the back and say
you saved 5 ounces of IPv6 ketchup!!!

Ted