[arin-ppml] *Spam?* Re: Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:20:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

> I must concur with Owen on all points.  I have an IPv6 allocation, and I am fighting hard to get native IPv6 routing from my upstream(s).  The only reason I can see to support 125 would be a completely selfish one in that I have predominantly met the requirements and that it would make the remaining pool more accessible to me because of the number of entities that would be disqualified from accessing it because they have not worked toward meeting the IPv6 requirements.

They would be immediately working those requirements if they could see
very clearly that at a future date they would be unable to get IP
addresses due to not meeting those requirements.

However....   ARIN should not necessarily dictate IPv6,  only
"something like IPv6". Any plan that acts like "IPv6 deployment" and
reduces the need for future IPv4 addresses will do.

Perhaps a proposal more along the lines of:

"Obtain a delegation of IPv6 address space and utilize it on your network
OR  present   an alternative plan to eliminate or reduce the need for
future allocations of IPv4 address space
on your network, and  sign a commitment  to return at least  50% of
the newly allocated IPv4 allocation to ARIN within 5 years."

--
-JH