[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Tue Dec 28 16:32:15 EST 2010

William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:

> That's really a fundamental question here, isn't it? Do we want ARIN
> to lead or follow?

ARIN has been leading on IPv6 promotion for years, through outreach,
fee abatement, and policies that make getting a v6 allocation only
slightly more difficult than filling one's gas tank.

Motion (of which there is an abundance in PP-125) should not be
confused with progress.

I expect to see plenty more proposals coming from various quarters
regarding how to divvy up the last crumbs of IPv4 address space.  I
don't want to dissuade anyone from working on them, since this is an
important exercise and a good proposal might come out of it, but I'm
not sanguine about the prospects.

Owen mentioned the deck chairs on the Titanic, an expression which is
going to get used to the point of being a stock cliche in our
community if it hasn't already.  Let me offer another: the Dopeler
Effect - bad ideas sound better when they come at you quickly.  :-)

I continue to be opposed to PP-125.

-r