[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 28 14:10:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2010, at 8:35 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> 1. The organization has previously received an IPv6 allocation or
>> assignment from ARIN or another RIR, or
>
> Delete paragraph 1. What is the point of allowing one to bypass the
> requirement by merely acquiring a block of IPv6 addresses?

Hi Owen,

IIRC, ARIN staff presented some numbers in Atlanta to the effect that
only about a quarter of the folks using IPv4 addresses under an ARIN
RSA had actually requested IPv6 addresses. I can think of a number of
possible explanations but they largely imply the same thing: most of
the key orgs on the Internet haven't taken the first step in their
respective IPv6 deployments.

The point of paragraph 1 is to get folks started.  If folks get
started and then choose to stop, that's another problem. But my
thought is: let's try a solution to the problem we know for sure we
have before we worry about the downstream problems we might have.

> However, good leadership requires sifting through and moving beyond
> those factors to what is actually good policy. Limiting the last bread
> crumbs of IPv4 to those who have implemented (for some arbitrary
> definition of implemented) IPv6 is the policy equivalent of rearranging
> the deck chairs. It doesn't really do anything to help the community
> but it might keep some people occupied for a while so that they don't
> notice the water temperature until it reaches their necks.

That's really a fundamental question here, isn't it? Do we want ARIN
to lead or follow?

If we want ARIN to -lead- towards the IPv6 solution that we, as
engineers, consider technically superior to carrier NAT then it's past
time to start gently nudging folks in that direction with our policy
choices. It's no different than when the folks of their day said hey,
CIDR's the new ball game, get used to it.

If we want ARIN to -follow- then we should, as Robert says, let "the
economics of the transfer market vs. the equipment market make the
proper course of action crystal clear."

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004