[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:02:45 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
[snip]
> I strongly object to this petition for the same reason I objected
> to the original proposal, the dual stack requirement.

This should be discussed further.  It seems a fair criticism of the
proposal as written at least. I would suggest the NRPM does not need
to directly intervene and force a specific kind of network
implementation;  this is really nothing ARIN should be intervening in.
 The proposal could have referred to "dual stack services"  or hosts
instead of interfaces.

There should not be an  assumption that one interface equals one
service or equals one hostname.  Policy should not dictate that
network technology using IPv6 addressing be deployed to the same scale
or type as the IPv4 technology,  because it is not always appropriate.

IPv6 network deployments may be structured differently and require
fewer V6 interfaces than interfaces on the V4 network.

ARIN should not dictate that more IPv6 addresses or more IPv6
interfaces be used than required to match IPv4 service levels.
e.g.  There should not be  "forced overbuild",  in the name of  promoting IPv6.

Organizations can and should perform their own capacity planning.
ARIN does not need to intervene directly, the org will do what is most
suitable for themselves.

For example, if a large org needs 500 web servers to answer billions
of daily IPv4 queries,   they don't need to be forced to get 500 dual
stack or 500 extra IPv6 web servers  to answer the    10   IPv6-based
queries per day that are actually sent to them.
Because that is expensive, inefficient, and a waste of addressing
resources  (addresses required by unneeded equipment).

In that example, the organization should be able to have 2  IPv6
addresses to 500  IPv4 addresses in that case.

I would suggest

 - for every 100 IPv4 addresses requested, at least one pre-existing
interface is dual stacked,
OR the IPv4 address'  purpose is to provide at least one network
service that is identical in purpose and content to a service
available over IPv6.

--
-JH