[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Dec 27 18:06:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Robert E. Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:
> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:
>>> I must take issue with your suggestion that the AC "dropped the ball".
>>
>> Allow me to rephrase: IF the AC dumps even a modest proposal to tie
>> continued eligibility for IPv4 to deployment of IPv6 THEN I would
>> consider the AC to have dropped the ball and would therefore support a
>> petition to override the AC's judgment.
>
> I don't think that phrase ("dropped the ball") means what you think it
> does.  "Does the AC agree with Bill Herrin" is a question orthogonal
> to "Is the AC following the PDP".

Robert,

You suggest that if the AC is in letter-compliance with the PDP then
it automatically means that they're properly following through on
policy proposals of interest to the community? Or do you just offer
the ad-hominem argument that I can't distinguish between my personal
opinion on a particular policy proposal versus the propriety of the
AC's follow-though as it evaluates the degree of interest expressed by
those participants who are not AC?

In this particular case, I think the AC got it right on both counts: a
strong policy-level linkage between IPv4 and IPv6 use is unhealthy (my
opinion) AND few in the community have expressed a desire to see
anything close to that heavy-handed a linkage between IPv4 and IPv6
implemented in ARIN policy.

Shall we leave it there or do you really want to pick a fight?

>I do not believe this problem will be solved with policy.  I believe
>that the economics of the transfer market vs. the equipment market
>will make the proper course of action crystal clear at the CxO level
>over the next couple of years and does not require policy action.

I wouldn't bet money against that viewpoint. But for better or for
worse I have observed a growing amount of community interest in some
form of linking continued IPv4 availability to IPv6 use. If you're
paying attention, you've noticed it too.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004