[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Frank Bulk - iName.com frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Dec 27 12:47:38 EST 2010

I would support a proposal that, as Leo described, "required some level of
IPv6 deployment without specific technologies."

One approach I considered would be apply to a significant surcharge (i.e.
1000%) for all those that didn't have IPv6 implemented.  By applying a
surcharge, fee schedules would not need to be adjusted.  The problem with
that is some companies might find the surcharge cheaper than actually
deploying IPv6.  The CFO might not like paying more, but if the cost of
implementing IPv6 is more, they might grudgingly pay it.  And there are also
those companies where money is no real object but the drive to implement
IPv6 is low if not non-existent.

So I come full-circle back to the original proposal, which is "don't provide
them IPv4 address space at all".  For non-dualstacked shops, D-Day is just a
few months earlier than everyone else.  While that may appear punitive, why
should someone else's lack of preparation result in my inability to obtain
IPv4 address space?

Frank