[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 124: Clarification of Section 4.2.4.4

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:37:15 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:
> Yes, and thanks. To be perfectly clear, I have proposed as a part of PP 124
> to remove the following from the policy statement in 4.2.4.4:
>
> "This  reduction does not apply to resources received via section 8.3. An
> organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue to  request
> up to a 12-month supply of IP addresses."
>

> The effect would be that transfers would also be subject to a three-month
> window of need.

I oppose PP124 on this basis.     Lack of benefit for S8.3 transfers
to be restricted.

And the significant negative effects that could be anticipated, in regards to
routing table fragmentation.

Which happens if you have organizations needing to come back
and re-apply for address  space  every 3 months.

If there are simply no more addresses left to allocate, until a sufficient
quantity can be found to be made through transfer,  then there
are fewer problems.

--
-JH