[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 124: Clarification of Section 4.2.4.4

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:04:59 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:
> To be perfectly clear, I have proposed as a part of PP 124
> to remove the following from the policy statement in 4.2.4.4:
>
> "This  reduction does not apply to resources received via section 8.3. An
> organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue to  request
> up to a 12-month supply of IP addresses."
>

> The effect would be that transfers would also be subject to a three-month
> window of need.

IMO this would have a substantial negative effect on the number of
routes in the IPv4 routing table.  The reason for keeping the 8.3
supply at 12 months was because we expect that a large fraction of 8.3
transfers will result in deaggregation of a larger block into multiple
smaller blocks.  If transfer recipients are required to get a new
transfer every 3 months instead of every 12, we can expect 4 times as
much demand for deaggregation in such situations.

-Scott