[arin-ppml] Why should we do Proposal 121

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Dec 9 16:45:57 EST 2010

I still believe ISP->ISP is appropriate, but I do believe that the
policy should perhaps add the justification for being an ISP (ie, method
of ARIN validating that an ISP is receiving the appropriate space). The
common methods as I mentioned on ppml are to show corporate documents
(as is done with ARIN when first getting an ORG-ID; and is designed to
try and keep an entity from cloning itself and having space assigned to
multiple org-ids from different entities) and/or contract copies as we
do in proving multihoming for ASN.

I'm not sure how much of this is policy worthy and how much is
implementation specific.

Also, I'm not sure that nibble assignments are necessary or appropriate
for ISP -> ISP transactions? Contiguous space is important within the
scope of a single ISP, but subtending ISPs (especially when multihomed)
don't require this (if they went to ARIN, they wouldn't be contiguous
with their upstream, so assigning a /32 do a downstream's downstream ISP
wouldn't need to be contiguous). I'm also not sure on nibble allocation
sizes in this type of scenario; though not completely against it.

Jack