[arin-ppml] Why should we do Proposal 121

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Dec 9 15:47:24 EST 2010

On 12/9/2010 1:33 PM, Charles O'Hern wrote:
> and a personal ignorance question:  Does a subordinate ISP with X
> aggregate allocations advertised through Y direct upstream ISPs end
> up adding X x Y routes to the global tables?

I believe that justification is still in order. If an ISP requests PA
space from another ISP, their current (if any) space would also be taken
into account. It is also important that any ISP giving space to another
ISP must show to ARIN the justification of that ISP (just as if the ISP
had gone to ARIN direct). One could even push it a step further and
require contracts to be shown to ARIN (similar to contracts used to
prove multihoming for ASN, but just to prove ISP1 is a customer of ISP2).

Even in v4, if I ask one of my ISP's for a /20, they will give it to me
if I show justification, but my justification to them is identical to my
justification to ARIN (includes all allocations from ARIN or other ISPs
to include my address space as a whole). This is, hopefully, checked
against the BGP permission lists/justifications done by the ISP as well.

The current v4 model has many loopholes which allow for fraud, and the
v6 model follows suit. If contracts are required in justification to
ARIN, we could utilize the corporate entity itself which is assigned a
single org-id to prohibit duplication. I'm not sure if ARIN would accept
this, as it means (just like it does with it's own org-ids) that ARIN
must verify each corporate entity. Only org-id's which are assigned as
such and classified as an ISP can be assigned space from ARIN or from
another ISP. This would require more overhead on assigning the ISP
org-id, but then ARIN would have less work to do in allocations, as ISPs
would be handling that part.

In short, if you want to lower fraud, create the ISP classification for
an org-id, and only org-id's with that classification can receive
allocations; all other org-ids can only receive assignments.

Jack