[arin-ppml] Why should we do Proposal 121

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Dec 9 11:44:29 EST 2010

On 12/8/2010 7:04 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> 1.	Current IPv6 policy is being interpreted to the detriment of ISPs that
> 	have subordinate ISPs. Subordinate ISPs should be able to get PA
> 	space from their upstreams equivalent to what they would be able
> 	to get directly from ARIN. Currently, ARIN is not allowing for the
> 	possibility that an ISP would reallocate /32s (or larger) to their
> 	subordinate ISPs.

As a side note, community participation would be nice on this point as
I've asked ARIN to decide how it will interpret the current policy
regarding subordinate ISPs (policy lacks any wording). While it's
uncertain how much role community comments would play in such an
interpretation, I doubt they would be ignored.

Owen, being better with his words than me, said it best in another email:

> Either the policy is good stewardship of the address space or it is not. If
> it is not good policy, then, we should change the ARIN policy. If it is good
> policy, then the ISP should be able to make the reallocation if that is
> where the other ISP prefers to get their space.

Jack