[arin-ppml] Regarding interesting times ahead...

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Dec 7 12:24:45 EST 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 11:46 AM, George Bonser wrote:

> Yup.  As soon as "Company with lots of full time lawyers on staff" tries
> to get an allocation and can't, it is going to be hell.

Indeed, it's going to be quite an interesting time.  I believe it will be
important for us to be clear that not all hope is lost, i.e. under current
resource  policy firms will still be able to qualify for up to 3 months of
space and then can either wait to see if such returned space comes available
to them via the waiting list, or they can find someone who has space that
could be potentially freed up & work with them to receive a specified transfer
(of up to 12 months space per documented need) under NRPM 8.3.

This may not satisfy a lot of companies, but is slightly more palatable
than having no chance at all of obtaining address space.

Whatever policy we end up with post-depletion, I do expect that we'll be
explaining those options to many, many organizations in the near future
and I'm hopeful that the participants of this mailing list will become
advocates getting the full message disseminated throughout the region.
That may not keep all the lawyers at bay, but it certainly will help...

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN