[arin-ppml] Is Emergency action warranted for Policy Proposal 123: Reserved Pool for Critical Infrastructure?

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Tue Dec 7 09:30:38 EST 2010

I'm in support of policy 123 in general.
I'm not completely in support of using emergency action to implement it
because I'm not convinced that it's an emergency, and I think it's important
to have a clearer idea of what actually does constitute an emergency before
"breaking the glass" as I have said in another thread.
Yes, with minimum allocation size at /24, we now have a use for these little
pieces as standard allocations, but I'm skeptical that this becomes such a
problem in the next 4 months as to not put it in front of the community in
the standard way. Even if it is done as an emergency, this needs full
community discussion on-list, and you're not going to get a representative
sample response on-list ~2 weeks before Christmas, therefore the timing of
the official Emergency PDP comment period will be important. If you look at
the responders in the threads on this proposal (and 122) the amount of folks
who aren't either affiliated with ARIN, the AC (incoming or outgoing),
and/or an author is a handful at best. My hunch is that you'll suddenly get
a lot of interest in ARIN policy soon after the first of the year, however.
;-)

Wes George