[arin-ppml] Processing existing requests in queue, policy changes & events (re: Policy Proposal 124: Clarification of Section 4.2.4.4)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Dec 3 18:03:01 EST 2010

For sake of clarity: ARIN considers number resource requests based on the
adopted Network Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) at the time of the request
submission.  This means that we have, as necessary, grandfathered those
existing requests currently in process when number resource policy becomes
more stringent due to new policy adoption.

The language in NRPM 4.2.4.4 is from policy 2009-8, which was adopted in
13 January 2010.  Any ISP additional requests submitted after 13 Jan 2010
are subject to the entire policy language contained therein, including the
language limiting request size as appropriate both before and after the
final /8 allocation.  Upon ARIN receiving its final "/8", we will no longer
consider requests for 12-month supply to be valid and hence would not allow
them to complete (although will obviously work with these organizations to
promptly recast their request for 3-month supply instead.)

We do protect those requests in the queue from policy changes, but this
is not a policy change but clearly foreseeable event in number resource
management which is already specified in policy 2009-8, as adopted in the
NRPM of 13 January 2010.

If the community wishes suspend that aspect of adopted policy 2009-8 for
those requests in process at the time, it would indeed take a specific
recommendation of the ARIN Advisory Council for this to be brought to
the ARIN Board for action.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO