[arin-ppml] Sensible IPv6 Allocation Policies - Rev 0.8 (PP 121)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 1 09:55:04 EST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 6:07 AM, Jack Bates wrote:

> Still support.
>
> On 11/17/2010 10:20 AM, ARIN wrote:
>>> 6.5.2.2     Qualifications
>>
>>> An organization qualifies for an allocation under this policy if
>>
>>> they meet any of the following criteria:
>>
>>> (a)   Have a previously justified IPv4 ISP allocation from ARIN
>>
>>> or one of its predecessor registries or can qualify for an IPv4
>>> ISP
>>
>>> allocation under current criteria.
>>
>>> (b)   Are currently multihomed for IPv6 or will immediately
>>
>>> become multihomed for IPv6 using a valid assigned global AS
>>> number.
>>
>>> (c)   Provide ARIN a reasonable technical justification,
>>
>>> indicating why an allocation is necessary, including the intended
>>
>>> purposes for the allocation, and describing the network
>>> infrastructure
>>
>>> the allocation will be used to support. Justification must include
>>
>>> plan detailing assignments to other organizations or customers for
>>> one,
>>
>>> two and five year periods, with a minimum of 50 assignments within
>>> 5
>>
>>> years.
>

> I have a concern that NRPM 4.2.2 IPv4 has a huge criteria for defining what an ISP is, where this section is extremely small. In particular, section b allows any multi-homed customer to be considered an ISP, which seems to override end-user assignment criteria. Is this really what we want? Would it not be simpler to define a minimum number of end sites which will be assigned to constitute an ISP? Any sized service provider could easily qualify under 6.5.5.2c if I'm reading it right, but end-users could quickly qualify under 6.5.5.2b so long as they are multihomed.

Not at all... An organization which meets both criteria can choose whether they prefer to apply as an ISP or as an end user.
An end-user organization cannot make any reassignments. Any organization which is making reassignments to customers
is an ISP (or LIR).

> I'm a strong believer of allowing even the smallest ISPs to become an ISP with v6 (ie, supporting their right for a /32, /36 even from another ISP). I disagree with allowing a single site hosting a few private servers which are multihomed to be added to the ISP criteria (blocklist operators, spammers, and many others will fall under this criteria).

In reality, why would they want to be? There's no advantage to being an ISP vs. an end-user organization. All it does is raise your fees.

Owen