[arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Aug 11 12:54:23 EDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 12:49 PM, Charles O'Hern wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> What good is the RIR handing a small business an IPv6 block when
>> there's nobody that that small business can plug into that will
>> route it?
>>
> Snipped the rest as I had no disagreement with it.  But in response to
> the above:  Why would I bother spending time pressuring my upstreams to
> transport and BGP advertise IPv6 if I can't get an allocation from ARIN
> in the first place?

Because if you can't get an allocation from ARIN then the ONLY place
else you can get it from is your upstreams.

We WANT you to be spending time pressuring your upstreams to transport
and advertise IPv6 - if you don't, who will?  And if nobody does, when
will they start doing it?

you want IPv67 for what?  For expected eventual demand from customers,
because your ahead of the curve.  Your upstreams are not ahead of the
curve, they war waiting for ACTUAL demand from customers - that means
you - before they start looking at it.

So, you want IPv6 - you go to ARIN can can't get it - you then go to
the next best place - your upstreams - you pressure them - they start
routing IPv6 - mission accomplished.

Ted