[arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Wed Aug 11 10:23:01 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Charles O'Hern
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:26 PM
To: Scott Leibrand
Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

> Good to hear.  When your upstream makes v6 available, will you be
> getting a /48 from them and deploying with that?
>
> -Scott

Yes, as soon as either of our upstreams has it available, and if we are
still unable to obtain an ARIN allocation, we'll be requesting at least
two /48's.  The problem  then will be getting upstream A to advertise
and transport the traffic for destination addresses allocated to us from
upstream B, and visa versa.

[[WEG]] Let's be clear - you appear to be able to obtain (justify) space, but cost is the issue. Not trying to minimize that, I understand that the bottom line is that you still have no IPv6 PI space, but since we're trying to discuss changes in allocation justification, I want to make sure I'm understanding the issue you're raising. It appears to go back to the overarching discussion of whether PA space is actually going to meet the needs of some portion of the internet community or not. Speaking for my own employer, we'll accept announcements of IPv6 PA space that isn't ours as long as it's at least a /48, and I think most other ISPs will end up doing the same since that's more or less status quo on IPv4.

Thanks
Wes George

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.