[arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:13:18 EDT 2010

On Tue 8/10/2010 2:06 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> On 10 Aug 10, at 3:29 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>

>> Would it help to change the minimum allocation for ISPs to /36?  Would that be sufficient for your 10-year needs, or do you really need a /32?
>>
> Why stop at /36? Why not /40 or /48?

We want ISPs to give out /48s to any of their customers who ask for
one.  A /36 is enough to allocate 4000 /48s, whereas a /40 only gives
you 256.  IMO /36 could be reasonable for small ISPs, but /40 or smaller
is too constraining and too likely to get used up.

> Not that block size is proportional to fee size, but I'm curious about relationship.

I understand that ARIN is considering changes to the fee structure
(https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html).  Not sure what they're
considering, but one option may be to charge less for a /36 than for a
/32.  Without some way of differentiating small ISPs from medium-sized
ISPs in the v6 world, it's hard to stick with the
fees-based-on-block-size model we have now.

Of course, fees aren't policy.

-Scott