[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-13: Permitted Uses of space reserved under NRPM 4.10

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Aug 9 11:27:00 EDT 2010

On 8/8/10 12:53 AM, "Scott Leibrand" <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat 8/7/2010 8:07 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 2010, at 5:14 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

[ clip ]

> On Sat 8/7/2010 8:07 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I'm not opposed to this change personally, but, I would expect some
>> opposition from the community and wouldn't want such opposition to reduce
>> the consensus on the rest of this proposal.
>>
>> I encourage others to provide feedback (positive or negative on this idea).
>>

> Agreed.  I'd also like to hear from anyone who thinks that 90% of all
> previous allocations is too high a bar for this kind of space.  As I see
> it, anyone who has more than 10% of their previous allocations sitting
> unused and hasn't figured out a way to use it probably isn't in the
> situation of needing more space for transition purposes yet.

It depends on the minimum allocation size being set correctly. If the
minimum allocation unit is high enough, it should push some demand onto the
providers and I would expect that the result would be an increase in
utilization trying to service customers.

Caveat: Transition is unlikely to be painless.