[arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Aug 9 05:34:29 EDT 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 12:40 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> 3.	Multiply x*y to get the number of /48s (ISP) needed. Convert this
>> to a number (n)
>> 	of bits (2^n=x*y).
>
> This is unneccesarily complex.
> First of all, there is no need to do this at all. An ISP can just appply
> for a /32, and then reapply when they run out. For some ISPs this ma
> be the best way to go because it does not require detailed forward planning
> even if it ends up being inconvenient for them when they have to reapply.
> But any really large ISP would likely want to use whatever they already
> have in their database, i.e. count customers or customer sites, or
> customer access circuits, and then use that as justification for an
> appropriately large block bigger than /32.

If I added the option to get a default /32 with no planning, would you
consider it worth while?

This is an attempt to head off prefix-growth by allowing ISPs to do planning
if they wish.

The proposal, by the way, is to do essentially what you describe, except
to do it at hierarchical levels that allow the generation of sufficient space
to internally aggregate the subordinate blocks...

The number of customers attached to your largest POP (rounded up to
a nibble boundary) times the anticipated number of POPs (also rounded
up to a nibble boundary).

Owen