[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Aug 4 04:24:06 EDT 2010

> I think that the panel of experts idea probably isn't going to take
> hold.
>
> I think it's going to be staff discretion aided by guidance from the
> BoT.

You can't eliminate staff discretion without changing ARIN's charter.
So let's work with it and feed it.

The applicant must use a transition technology such as
NAT-PT
6RD
dual stacking
NAT64
and similar technologies. This list is not exhaustive and ARIN staff
have the discretion to accept any other technology that advances the
deployment of IPv6 in the applicant's network and is not merely
a stopgap measure like IPv4 NAT whether carrier grade or not.

Could use some wordsmithing but the intent is to list the well-known
transition technologies that are acceptable, to explicitly note that
ARIN staff have the discretion to accept other transition technologies
that advance IPv6 deployment, and to note that purely IPv4 technologies
are not acceptable justification.

Anyone who uses carrier grade NAT is not going to need more addresses
anyway.

--Michael Dillon