[arin-ppml] [arin-discuss] x-small IPv4 ISPs going to IPv6

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 20:39:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Also since ARIN is duty-bound to return that .8 Mil in the form of
> fee DECREASES then the real argument is this, do we want the
> ultimate revenue ARIN takes in to NOT increase as a result of IPv6
> or do we want it to DECREASE so we all (ISPs who are NOT x-smalls)
> can get a nice break on our own fees?

Why do you say ARIN is duty-bound in any way to return "that .8 Mil"?
I don't think that is right at all.

There are probably various useful ways in which ARIN could spend that
to perform ARIN's duties better.  Reducing fees or  'returning' $$ is
just one option,
but not particularly  beneficial to ARIN's  continued survival.

Also in terms offsetting  loss of IPv4 allocation-related revenue
after V4 exhaustion.

And new expenses incurred  related to managing IPv6 address space
and service enhancements,  outreach, etc...

--
-J