[arin-ppml] IPv6 Guarantee

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 02:35:58 EDT 2010

Well, a few things...   (a) How do we measure the 20%?
How can ARIN assure the would-be IPv6 applicant that a study will be done?

Perhaps more importantly...  will ARIN be able to afford it  if the
bet goes wrong?
Isn't the per-reg price of an IPv6 registration connected to ARIN's
costs of creating and  maintaining each registration?

And (b)...  does tunneled traffic count,  then where does packet count
get measured?   For example, end hosts sending IPv6 packets  that get
encapsujlated in IPv4 packets  and received by ISP as IPv4 packets,
that are then transmitted to a tunnel endpoint for de-encapsulation.

Do those count towards the number of IPv6 packets or towards the
number of IPv4 packets,  and  can we  expect a study to be able to
identify/distinguish them

IOW -- what type of packets does the study have to say there are 20% of...
native end-to-end V6,   or    packets that are V6   at any point
during their travel.
;)

--
-J