[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Sat Apr 17 19:29:56 EDT 2010

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, William Herrin wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > Only the generality was
> > important to Ted's reminder that when providing ARIN allocations to
> > ISPs that find $2250/year challenging, "you consume the same amount of
> > routing resources on everyone else's BGP router on the Internet,"
> > regardless of the range of each address block announcement.
>
> That having been said, I have no objection to a policy change that
> allows ISPs to request the same block sizes as end users, so long as
> it's done in a way that doesn't make IPv6's TE (disaggregation)
> filterability worse that it already is.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

Can we count on the RSA to enforce allocations?  How about policy
to allow ARIN to allocate at /40 to an extra-small ISP at the
same price as it would for a /40 PI assignment (Hope I've got
"allocation" and "assignment" right :-), although it is really
allocating a /32 from it's reserved space (such that the other
255 /40's in that /32 will never get allocated/assigned to anyone
else), and tell the recipient ISP 1) We've allocated a /32 for
you, but you are only allowed to use the 1st /48 of it.  2) Although
you may get away will routing the entire /32, some peers may
filter everything but the 1st /48 of it, so it won't be reliable.
3) If we catch you using any of the extra space, you are violating
the RSA and we'll come after you with a big stick and 4) if you
want more than the first /48, come back, upgrade from extra-small
to small, and we'll give you the rest of the /32 at the current
"small" rate, and -- cool -- you'll get 255 times the addresses
at four (?) times the cost and NO RENUMBERING!

This would pretty much rely on the honor system to get small
ISPs not to claim to be extra small, but the cost of getting
caught cheating would be very high.  Also, if you are in general
bad guy, you would be calling attention to yourself.  (I
think the guy stashing the 2nd getaway car for a bank robbery
would be pretty careful not to park it in front of a fire
hydrant.  His accomplices would probably be miffed if it got
booted or towed.)

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.