[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat Apr 17 16:36:39 EDT 2010

> I deployed IPv4 NAT back in 1996 (or earlier, I forget) in a
> production environment.  The way I did it - and the ONLY way
> that ANYONE could do it at that time - was by applying a very
> large, convoluted set of patches to the FreeBSD 3 kernel and
> compiling the nat daemon.

At that time I was running TIS firewalls toolkit on a FreeBSD 2
system. It was not NAT, but to the outside world, the application
layer proxies did present multiple machines inside the network
on a single IP address, just like NAT did. And an external machine
could not pass packets to an internal one, unless a proxy was
specifically configured to allow it, just like on a NAT box.

--Michael Dillon